Source: Talent GB
Reporting to one or more project teams, the successful candidate will be responsible for the:
• development of database solutions and schema design
• administration of operational databases
• installation of database application software
• support and mentoring of others in the database team
• provision of specialised technical input to the wider software engineering team
Some aspects of this job will require occasional work outside normal office hours, or on UK client site, so flexibility is essential.
Candidate Specification (published)
As a database administrator you will be self-reliant and able to work autonomously, integrating with the software engineering team, supported by management and technical colleagues in both Glasgow and Newcastle to ensure tasks are completed and delivered to a high standard within our established processes and procedures. With knowledge of various database platforms, you will play a key role in supporting the development team as projects migrate across technologies. With a constantly evolving portfolio of diverse and unique projects, this role will provide the successful candidate the opportunity to work across multiple teams for a variety of clients.
Within the team, you will work within a structured environment which promotes the delivery of quality systems to our clients and provides a framework for your continued growth. You will have the opportunity to be involved in technical mentoring as part of a talented technical team, who are committed to knowledge sharing and continued learning and development. The role will include working directly with our clients, remotely and occasionally on-site, and will provide the opportunity to contribute innovation into our solutions.
For this role you should have:
Essential technical skills:
• Analytical problem solving within database business logic
• Extensive knowledge of, and experience in SQL
• In-depth knowledge of, and experience with schema design principles
• Experience with testing processes
• Experience with configuration and deployment of database solutions
• Security-Check (SC level) security clearance is required for this role. Applicants must apply for this immediately once in-role or it can be transferred from existing employer.
Essential personal skills:
• Highly motivated to learn fast and add value to our development team.
• Be able to communicate effectively both in-person and via telephone, email and documentation.
• Be able to demonstrate initiative and drive in carrying out tasks, constantly seeking improvement
• Have an aptitude for problem solving
• Be a team player and provide a positive contribution to our strong culture
If you have any of these additional skills, you would be of particular interest to us:
• Microsoft SQL-Server
• SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise (ASE), IQ or Replication Server
• GIT and Subversion
• JIRA (issue tracking)
• Technical mentoring
The Technology Services (TS) team within Mott MacDonald develops and supports a diverse range of bespoke and product-based complex software systems for clients throughout the UK, internationally and within the Mott MacDonald group. These systems are developed by our in-house software engineering team, utilising a wide range of programming technologies and deployment into varying technology stacks. We provide a dynamic, project-orientated development environment, with teams involved in the full lifecycle of system delivery from requirements definition through to design, development, platform configuration and ultimately live system support.
Our primary domain is in the Transport sector, solving real-world problems for clients that manage transport networks and own all forms of transport assets – digital, data and infrastructure. We also provide technical input across multiple domains for projects across other parts of Mott MacDonald meaning we play our part in maintaining Mott MacDonald’s carbon neutral certification.
With a growth in demand for our systems and expertise across the business, we are expanding our database administration team. The key objective for this role is the development and maintenance of database solutions and to support system roll-out within our hosted platforms. You will be based out of either our Glasgow or Newcastle office, with a blend of home-based and office-based and working.
3 days ago
We are open to applications from Livingston, Leeds and Osterley Want to do the best work of your life? With 24 million customers in 6 countries, make your mark at Europ
Sky - Livingston, Scotland - beBee S
SQL Database Engineer, initial 6-month contract (Inside IR35) - an excellent opportunity to learn from an experienced team and work with the latest technologies. You will be involved in migration
Eden Scott - Glasgow, Scotland - Talent GB
Grade 7: £39,810 - £44,931 Police Scotland is about to embark on an upgrade programme relating to one of its critical systems - the Criminal History System - to ensure it r
Scottish Police Authority - Glasgow, Scotland - beBee S
My client is a successful SME organisation that continue to experience further growth and development. They have an excellent opportunity for a Project Administrator to join them on a permane
Escape Recruitment Services - Null, Scotland - Talent GB