Research & Innovation Manager
Source: Talent GB
Reporting to the Head of Operations, you will be responsible for leading a small team of Production Engineers to deliver an exceptional manufacturing engineering service to the Southport site; improving process control, efficiency and the introduction of new designs. You will be responsible for the installation, maintenance and improvement of production lines and ensuring that Health, Safety and Environmental requirements are adhered to.
Role and Responsibilities
● Responsible for the creation and adoption of Standard Operating Procedures.
● Responsible for the Bill of Materials (BOMs) within our ERP system (SAP)
● Offer technical support and problem-solving skills to Production and the shop floor teams
● Improve the Right First Time KPI and work towards a true zero-defect culture
● Undertake continuous improvement projects to improve both the efficiency and quality of manufacture
● Provide analytical support; suggest, calculate and monitor production KPI's. Review internal processes vs outsourcing decisions and estimating future manufacturing requirements
● Design, prove, implement and maintain production systems to deliver product on time, to quality requirements and to cost.
● Implement robust procedures and be responsible for manufacturing change control
● Maintain working relationships and strengthen feedback loops between production engineering, quality control, logistics, design engineering and customer service departments
● Responsible for planning, commissioning and maintaining production processes, testing products and completing pre-production process trials.
● Identify and liaise with suitable suppliers, produce CAPEX budgets and business cases, produce requirement specifications, negotiate new machinery purchases and introduce them effectively.
● Leadership responsibility for a small team of engineers, support performance management at individual and team level, conducting performance appraisals for team members, develop and implement departmental and individual training plans in line with business needs, succession planning and individuals career progression.
● Actively lead and encourage the team to use the Unipart Way tools and techniques and develop a culture of continuous improvement to effectively deliver improvements to increase productivity, reduce costs and eliminate waste.
● Degree equivalent in Mechanical/Electronics Engineering (or equivalent experience)
● Experience gained working within a manufacturing environment and good understanding of operational procedures
● Previous experience in a supervisory / leadership role is essential
● Project management skills
● Ability to read and assess Engineering Drawings for manufacture
● Experience in Statistical Process Control
● Reporting writing
● Good attention to detail
● Strong problem solving ability
● Good working knowledge of all aspects of Health & Safety legislation and policies and regulatory requirements
● Strong organisational skills with the ability to prioritise and work to deadlines
● Excellent communication skills and the ability to motivate / encourage and develop others
● Ability to build strong relationships at all levels within the organisation, internal and external (customers & suppliers) and a strong customer focus
● Understanding and application of lean manufacturing tools and techniques and the ability to lead improvement activities.
● Basic knowledge of optical testing
● Experience of Process Engineering and MTM
● Experience in six sigma methodologies would be desirable (green belt level)
● Experience with Surface Mount Technology would be advantageous
● Experience utilising SAP system
Pension and death in service provisions for employees in pension scheme
25 Days Hols (plus Bank Holidays)
Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
Health and Wellbeing Initiatives
Employee offers and discounts from various retailers
Cycle to work scheme, recognition events and rewards
Free car parking
As a valued employee of Unipart Rail, you can look forward to a varied and rewarding career with a company that holds the Investors in People accreditation and also world class status in employee engagement.
3 days ago
Up to £45,000 (depending on experience)
Innovation Project Manager £40,000 - £50,000 p.a. (Project Management - Software as a Service) - Leeds Our client, the largest independent financial
H2R Selection Limited - Leeds, England - beBee S
University of Leeds Director of Campus Innovation and Development The University of Leeds is one of the largest, most prestigious and diverse research
UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS - Leeds, England - beBee S
The University of Leeds is one of the largest, most prestigious and diverse research-intensive universities in the UK. We are in the world's top 100 universities in the QS rankings, ranked in the U
University of Leeds - Leeds, England - beBee S
Director of Campus Innovation and Development The University of Leeds is one of the largest, most prestigious and diverse research-intensive universities in the
University Of Leeds - Leeds, England - Talent GB